Pregnancy will bring on all kinds of changes for your body to cope with! One of the more uncomfortable and painful changes can be the swelling of your lower legs and feet. That comes as a result of your veins working harder than ever to accommodate for your growing baby! Compression wear can be used to help stimulate blood flow, and to redirect blood back up through your veins to the rest of your body.
Millions of women use maternity compression socks regularly. They can help to ease aches and pains and can help to ensure blood flow is kept healthy. But how do you know which socks to buy? Which pregnancy socks are right for you, and how should you use them throughout the day? Here are some tips on how to choose compression socks while pregnant.
When to Buy Compression Socks for Pregnancy
You should generally look for pregnancy socks if you are heading into your third trimester, after week 22. While not all new mums experience swelling of the feet, it may be a good idea to consider them as a viable option. If you are already finding your legs and feet to be aching or swelling, it may be time to look for the right pair of pregnancy socks.
- The best socks for you will depend on the amount of compression you need. We stock compression socks measured in mmHg or millimetres of mercury. The higher the dosage, the more pressure you’ll receive.
- Pregnant women should look for compression socks which fall in the mid-range. This should be around 15-20mmHg. Higher pressure is generally reserved or advisable for those people who may be recovering from surgery, or those who are at higher risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
- The best thing to do should be to consult your doctor or nurse. They will help you find the most appropriate level of mmHg for your needs. You can then take a closer look at our range of socks, available in various sizes, to fit.
- Always measure your ankle, your calf and the back of your knee to the floor before buying. Our seven specific sizes of sock, are arranged with these measurements in mind.
- Finding the right size and fit is important; otherwise, displaced pressure could create more problems for you.
How Should I Use Maternity Compression Socks?
Pregnancy socks should be worn ideally throughout the day. That means that they should be comfortable for you to wear during everyday activity. It is important that you take them off at night and put them back on again the next day. As mentioned, you may not even need to wear them regularly if your swelling isn’t too severe. However, it is always worth keeping an open mind.
Do also consider buying more than one pair. That is, so you always have socks to wear if you are washing one set!
If you need help choosing the right pair of pregnancy compression socks, call our team today on 0800 894 769.
Please note: The information provided here is for general information only and is not intended to act as medical advice. We advise anyone interested in this subject to seek qualified, professional advice.